Beets are Earthy and delicious! They are also packed with essential vitamins, minerals and plant compounds, some of which have medicinal properties.
- Beets are a great source of dietary fibre, vitamins A, C, B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, Iron, and Folate!
- Best Stored: In Fridge
- Can be frozen
- Can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled. The whole plant can be eaten - especially the leaves which can be cooked like spinach!
- The plant pigment that gives beetroot its rich, purple-crimson color is betacyanin, a powerful agent that is thought to help suppress some types of cancer
- Vitamin A is an antioxidant and helps with vision, bone growth, reproduction, cell function, and your immune system
- Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of the tissues in all parts of your body.
- Vitamin B6 is found naturally in many foods. Your body needs vitamin B6 to help support more than 100 enzyme reactions involved in metabolism. It is also essential in brain development during pregnancy and infancy as well as immune function.
- Folate is a B vitamin (These vitamins help the process your body uses to get or make energy from the food you eat). Folate helps your body make new cells and regenerate. It is essential for everyone but very important for pregnant women.
- Manganese is an essential nutrient for your body to function! It helps process cholesterol, carbohydrates, protein and may also be involved in bone formation.
- Magnesium can help regulate muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure. It is also essential for making protein, bone, and DNA
- Iron is a mineral that is naturally present in many foods. It is an essential component of hemoglobin, a protein that transfers oxygen from the lungs to the tissues. Iron is necessary for growth, development, normal cellular functioning, and synthesis of some hormones and connective tissue
- Dietary Fibre, is important for a healthy bowel.
How to Eat!
- Raw / Cooked / Pickled
- Raw in cool salads, Roasted in warm salads
- Saute the leaves...