- 1/2 cup Raw Sugar / Rapadura
- 1 x Organic / Spray Free Pineapple
- 1 x Cinnamon Stick
- 4 x Cloves
- 2 Litres Filtered Water
- Combine the sugar and 1L of the water and heat until dissolved.
- Add remaining water and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place peels, cores & Spices in a large glass jar or ceramic fermenting crock with a minimum capacity of 3L or 2 separate jars/jugs.
- Pour over the sugar/water and weigh down the pineapple pieces and ensuring all solids are submerged.
- Cover with a muslin cloth or clean tea towel held in place by a rubber band or kitchen twine. Allow to ferment in a warm, dark place for 2-3 days.
- Serve over ice or bottle and allow to stand at room temperature for a further 12-24 hours to increase carbonation. When selecting bottles please ensure they are strong enough to withstand pressure and don't forget them!
- Another fantastic use for your pineapple cores is flavouring your kombucha in a secondary ferment.
This recipe is based on FGFB Winner Entry Seeley Kerr on reducing waste and the original Mexican Tepache Recipe.